Would I dare?

I hope you aren't getting thoroughly sick of my Maggie Tabberer posts, because here's another one. But it's my last (for the moment anyway).

These pictures are from Australian Home Beautiful's September edition, and it was when I was reading this article that I made the connection between Marcella and Maggie. You see the article was talking about how this was the bathroom of Marcella and her husband Mark Cooper, but it looked oh so familiar to me. So I pulled out my trusty style file where I had torn out the pages of Maggie's home, and sure enough there it was. Maggie actually bought this house from M&M.


These pictures really do show how utterly fabulous this bathroom is: thoroughly indulgent, soothing and reminiscent of a day spa. Wall to wall glamour. I adore the way it looks out on to the courtyard and pool - you can sink into the bath and enjoy the view.





Don't you just love the white towel tossed casually over the tree branch? In this picture below you can see one of the mother of pearl twin mirrors. I cannot tell you how much I love mother of pearl - I can't get enough of it. I also love the twin Duravit basins and the brushed aluminum taps coming directly out of the wall.




M&M picked up the mirrors on a jaunt to India.


And just when I thought I couldn't fall more in love with this bathroom, this picture pops up - there's white plantation shutters for when you want privacy. Plantation shutters are one of my all time favourite things ever - I have some in my own house which I'll show you another day.


Now you may have noticed the marble-topped vanity in the pictures above. I think its warm wooden tones are just perfect for this bathroom - it prevents it from looking too austere. But here's the thing: it's an antique Chinese Cabinet. Such a clever idea. And I really love little touches of Asia in a house.

It got me thinking about an Asian piece in my house. If I am ever to build my 'dream home' would I consider modifying this in to a vanity? See below.


I found this piece in a shop that sells brand new wooden furniture that I am largely uninterested in, but that also sold a little Asian antique furniture on the side. It was sitting in a corner all lonely, with a whole heap of nicknacks sitting on top. Unfortunately I felt the price was more than I wanted to pay, and being very budget conscious, I walked away. But every time I came back in the shop, there it was, winking at me. I even measured it, and realised that it fitted the alcove in my hallway (above) PERFECTLY. What was a girl to do? I sat back and bid my time, and then one day saw an ad in the paper notifying that this shop had 50% off all their Asian antiques. So that is how this baby became mine! Sometimes, just sometimes, patience does pay.


I think it would adapt quite well with a gorgeous sink on the top. The only thing is, would I dare? Part of me thinks it would be such a shame to not keep the piece as it has been for more than 100 years. I think I would feel like I was desecrating it. What do you think?

Would I dare? Share on...

0 comments on Would I dare? :

Post a Comment and Don't Spam!